Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Other weekend eats...

C Level
This is sort of a natural restaurant to hit when meeting out of town guests since it is right across from the airport. It’s C Level (at Island Prime) on Harbor Island right on the water with great city views. They have a pretty good Spicy Ahi Tuna Sandwhich – which my brother got. I was a little disappointed with the Lobster BLT (came with a side of Lobster Bisque). The L got a Grilled Rosemary Chicken Breast Sandwhich – this was really good with various toppings (melted chedder, bacon, avocado) and came with homemade potato chips.

But the real winner at the table was the so-called special: a Kobe Burger topped with mushrooms, caramelized onions and gorgonzola with parmesan fries. And for a second time in row at this very same restaurant, I have seen a girl order a burger medium rare. Wow. You know what they say about Midwestern girls!

Anyhow, I didn’t think to take any pictures here.

Coney Island Pizza
This is located in Poway, about the last stop on Poway Road before you are off to the hinterlands of Ramona. I thought it was okay – The L didn’t think much of it. But here is a picture:




It’s the medium Deluxe. Takeout. $15.50. Coney Island.

Grino’s Cocina Y Cantina
Luckily slander and libel refers only to what you say and write about individuals, right? I can say anything I want about a company? Okay, I guess then I would say this place is substandard to Chevy’s and that would be a compliment.

*Ducks*

*Looks around*

Okay, it wasn’t that bad. But I have to say I was expecting more - 'nuff said.

But here's what our table had: Shrimp enchilada and grilled fish taco. Free range chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and roasted corn, with a corn tamale and huitlacoche sauce. Sizzling grilled chicken fajitas - nope, not a sizzle at all. Braised lamb shank, canela arborio rice with caramelized vegetables.

Yet, it seems like it would be a fun place with a group. And the margaritas were good (they have nightly specials) but weak.
Gringo's - just a stone throw from Crystal Pier.

Taste of Downtown report.
No not me. We didn’t go this year. Luckily, the fine folks over at Oh So Yummy took over a dozen oh so yummy pictures and have a full report.

Prep yer own meals?
I'm seeing more and more of these places where you can cook your own meals for the week – they buy the ingredients and provide the kitchen space while you spend 2 hours making your meals for the week. You take it home and eat these meals while they do the clean up. Any one try this yet? There was a good article in the paper last week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been seeing those "meal prep party" places opening up around here. There's one in Poway, one in RB, and I think one in Scripps Ranch - all different companies. If you can get together 10 people, you can throw a "sneak peek" party and I think it's free. But not positive. I just don't get it - wouldn't it be cheaper to buy your own groceries and put aside 2 hours in your own home to prep frozen meals??

September 21, 2006 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey FF55.
I am suprised you did not like Gringo's (what a stupid name, huh)? I really like the Chiles en Nogado off the regional specialties section of the menu.

September 21, 2006 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great way to experience all the restaurants and night life before you go is a website, www.videonary.com. It has videos of the restaurants along with menus, price ranges and a map to get there. You can even download coupons to your cell phone.

November 06, 2006 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home