Monday, October 24, 2005

Indigo Grill and more

Mighty 1090
San Diego Sports AM radio station 1090, better known as The Mighty 1090 offers up a foodie treat and a great deal once a week. Each Wednesday around 8 in the morning they offer up (on their website) half price gift certificates to area restaurants. And these aren’t necessarily crap restaurants, but some pretty good names like Sbicca in Del Mar, the newish Island Prime, Cafe Pacifica in Old Town, Brockton Villa in La Jolla and the list goes on. Typically it’s a $100 gift certificate for $50.

On Friday we used our certificate at Indigo Grill (the Island Prime gift certificate I got ended up being good at any Cohn Restaurant). It was our first time there and a pretty good meal was had. My wife got the Tortilla Soup and Seared Ahi Tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes (both I believe were on the night’s “specials” menu) and I got the Free Range Chicken that came with a side salad (mixed greens with a delicious dressing) and black beans, rice, guac…all the typical sides. And we shared the Brie appetizer (which we were told is a signature dish), listed on the website menu as “Plantain and Pipian Crusted Brie with serrano jelly, honey roasted garlic with grana-scallion flatbread”. Whew. That’s a mouth-full and I don’t even know what two of those things are, but it was all tasty.

I wouldn’t normally get chicken as we have it very often at home but the waiter raved over the chicken rather than a couple of other items I inquired about. It was good but other items seemed more interesting and I think I could have a similar tasting entrée at, oh, say, El Torito.

In the end food, drinks and tax brought the tab to mere pennies over $100. (It’s key to use up all or at least most of the certificate as it is clearly stated that no change is given). Over the last year or so we’ve dined out for half price at 5 or 6 restaurants courtesy of the Mighty 1090 – often I forget about the sale, and usually they go quickly with just (I believe) 50 for sale. I never listen, but I think the restaurant gets plenty of mention that morning (maybe all week) in trade.

Blog Talk
I see my own tiny little start up blog has been linked to by San Diego’s very own Zen Foodist (thanks, Beth!) Hopefully I can get pump out the posts a little faster. I can think of one other one in which four guys use a random restaurant generator to come up with a lunch place on Friday and report back on it. They have been at it since June or July in the Miramar/Mira Mesa area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home