Sunday, March 12, 2006

My very first chocolate

No notable food stuffs to post about this week. At some point I might do a San Diego North County Inland restaurant roundup – an area rarely talked about. And we have guests over the next couple of weeks – that may provide some restaurant experiences. But for now, I will post a picture of myself enjoying what is thought to be my very first taste of chocolate. Is it your standard jello pudding? Or maybe melted chocolate chips (always a favorite!)


And the year? 1970! And if any of my 3 readers (may be down to 2 at this point) has any of these “baby's very first taste of…” type photographs feel free to email them – I’ll post in my next entry. Or post to your own blog and leave a link! I also thinking of doing a “Scott’s birthday cakes over the years” type post offering up a photographic history of my Mom's cakes.

Chowhound
It’s been sold to CNET – it will be a little sad to see the old-fashioned message board go away but it should make for a better site overall. Should happen sometime this summer.

Taste of Hillcrest
April 22. I said I wasn’t going to do another one of these – but I might try this one out again – it is such a great way to discover the restaurants in an area. We did this one on a rare rainy day a couple of years ago. Any other “Taste of…” coming up?

4 Comments:

Blogger KirkK said...

Hey Scott - Where's the dogs???? LOL! We're still reading your blog.

March 13, 2006 11:19 AM  
Blogger Gourmetish said...

Ooh, I love "taste of's"! You should definitely post your bday cakes and all of that good stuff. I might have to copy that idea. There are two cakes my mom made when I was little that were just precious. Love the picture you posted today!

March 13, 2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Gourmetish said...

Scott, have you been to the taste of hillcrest? I just checked out your link and it's expensive. Is the $25 ticket the only cost or do you have to pay for the food too? Back east the events were free but you paid for tickets to use at different restaurant booths.

March 13, 2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

Gourmetish - I think the cost went up a little - might have been $20 last time. That gets you a ticket (which they mark or punch) and a map and you go to each of the restuarants - usually inside - but sometimes just on the sidewalk in front and you get a small sample plate. Some go all out with nearly a buffet, some give you a bite of some signature dish.

No booths, no extra cost unless you want to buy a drink at one of the restuarants. So, nothing like, say, the Taste of Chicago which has booths lined up and you use tickets to buy items.

It gives people a chance to see each restuarant - and hopefully come back for a dinner.

March 14, 2006 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home