Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Linkery

We ate recently at The Linkery. At last. This spot has long been on my list to try – plus it is the only restaurant in the world that is vaguely aware that this very blog even exists. (The Linkery blog has links to all San Diego food blogs.)

Again, no pictures so lets just have at it with the eats: we started off with their herb salad: mixed greens, mint, cilantro, clementines and pine nuts, dressed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and topped with cotija cheese. ($6.50) Really good and a large size for a small.

My wife got the pan-seared wild Mexican huachinango (aka Pacific silk snapper) with fresh organic cranberry, grilled organic sugarloaf squash, and greens in a tangerine vinaigrette ($15.50). It was okay but we thought…

…that my entree was a real winner: I got the grilled pork tenderloin with sautéed crosnes, snap peas, and red beets, and a goat cheese and quince puree. ($13.50) That puree was Excellent with a capital E! The pork was medium rare so damn to you trichinosis! Actually, it isn’t much (if any) of a problem anymore so I’ve read. (And as a sidenote: What the heck was a eating? A crosne? Now I know!)

So then dessert: we had a piece of their Mexican chocolate mousse pie and their strawberry something cheesecake (I don’t quite remember the fruit combo). Both were delicious. ($5.50 each.) Obviously, a big thumbs up to The Linkery. We’ll be back!

(There is a great little blog post on The Linkery from Josh at FoodGPS with lots of pictures.)


I can’t think of another restaurant at this price point (a simple neighborhood restaurant) that cares so deeply about the food they serve, that uses regionally grown ingredients, small farm raised meats, that has an always changing (and interesting) menu to feature what is fresh that week. Maybe there are some, but owner Jay (Hi Jay!) does a great job of promoting this philosophy at his website, on the menu and in person.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate there last Thursday for the second time and really liked it. My mum was truly mystified by the menu which made for a rather interesting ordering experience. Top dinner, as before although I think I'd like it slightly better lit as I think my mexican lasagne would have looked very pretty and I couldnt see it properly

December 04, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Gourmetish said...

Thanks for the link about crosnes. I've never heard of them but they sound delish.

December 05, 2006 2:20 AM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Jenny and Gourmetish! I'm glad my lack of knowledge about crosnes wasn't met with a big "Duh!".

December 07, 2006 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words and the link. I'm glad you like it. Be sure to say "hi" next time you come in.

December 07, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Clueless hostess, small portions, loud dining room, $4 for 8 oz of Dr. Pepper!, and an owner who's attitude was basically-- Go somewhere else!
OK I get it, you want to offer, good quality locally grown and raised food. Would it kill you to put some more potatoes on the side of a dish you're charging $19.50? Why would you offer a soft drink that is only available from Texas and charge more for it than you do for beer? and when a paying customer raises some valid points why would you choose to ignore all of them and say that there are a lot of other restaurants out there, you should be able to find one that makes you happy?
I really wanted to like this neighborhood joint, but never again!

May 28, 2008 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home