Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Scary/Yummy


Jack O-Lantern 2005
Well, since pumpkin is obviously food this is surely on topic! I used to grow pumpkins and carve dozens of them each year. Others seemed be more interested in the amount of pumpkin bread or pumpkin pie they could make but I cared little of such things. Here are a few of my past wonders.


Foodies, Rejoice! 3 Courses for $30...
...is how the 2006 San Diego Restaurant Week website welcomes us. It’s many weeks ago (okay, months) but the site went live this week with a listing of participating restaurants. You might be able to tell that I like a good value and this is it. For many restaurants on the list the entrée is 25 to 30 bucks anyhow so it’s like getting a appetizer (or soup or salad) and dessert for free!



The menus aren’t up yet, but which restaurants are at the top of your list? Last year we made it to 2 restaurants (George’s at the Cove was a memorable meal), this year we’ll try for 4. I’m thinking Pamplemousse Grille, Mille Fleurs, El Bizcocho maybe or then there is Oceanaire, Jsix and Tapenade. Haven't been to any of these yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

Hi Lisa, Yep - some years I carved 20 or 25 pumpkins and lit them with christmas lights (once I tried for the more authentic candle light, but that isn't quite bright enough and they do blow out if it is windy). I wonder if California is teeming with mold spores? These were from when I lived in the upper midwest, so night time temps at Halloween were usually cool, under 40, which probably helps preserve them. Usually, I would carve them 4 or 5 days before Halloween, expecting to get a good week out of them.

I've heard that rubbing a layer of vasoline over the pumpkin flesh can prolong your jack-o-lantern.

October 27, 2005 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home