Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mixing It Up

I’ll post today - just a mix - because I wonder if there has ever been a food blog entry that has stooped so low as to mention a Sunday night Sopranos time meal of Domino’s Pizza? Probably, but here is another. We like the thin crust – we’ll get it a couple times a year when any other ideas fail us. I never understood the people that order their pizza with just one topping – most of the coupons are like that. Maybe kids like just a plain pepperoni – but I want mine with everything. And a tasty cold beverage.

What to post about?
I often thought about having a workplace blog called “Over the Wall” writing about the trivial comments I hear from over the cubicle wall. Samplings from this week: American Idol, Potty Breaks (no kidding!), Boyfriend This and That, American Idol….rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. And so on…

Suck on it!
As you well know I’m in no way a BBQ connoisseur (or any other kind of expert) but I found this sauce at Henry’s, marked half off. I looked at the label, liked the name and found it nearly all natural and made with tomato paste, honey, molasses, mustard, horseradish and so on. Good stuff. Ah, and thank God in heaven, no high fructose corn syrup. Heck of a lot better than your typical grocery store sauce – many of them I find are not quite right for me. Great just for dipping chicken pieces in – I might even make up some ribs. But probably not.

I mentioned it was half off – once I got it home I thought, oh maybe I should have looked for a “sell by” date. The only thing I could find was 030605. Whoops. Bottling date or sell by? Who knows!

Pho Ca Dao
With the San Diego Restaurant Blog Master (or is it meister?) running a huge Pho retrospective (but leaving out Pho King – okay, whatever) I thought I would mention the only Pho restaurant I’ve been to, on Mira Mesa Blvd, in an old Coco’s restaurant. Pho Ca Dao – it’s a lunchtime, line out the door, type of place. I’ve been there several times with coworkers – for some reason I am usually disappointed with the amount of meat I get. Maybe I eat it too fast.

Service is always fast and friendly – bowls big, the eating is messy, prices are cheap (big spring rolls for under $3 for two of them, pho is $4 or 5 depending on the bowl size.) I don't care for the tripe or fatty meats - but give me some thinly sliced beef and I am lovin' it.

I did find another blogger entry on this place.

Nuts to you!
And the answer to entry yesterday. I do like nuts – I’m a little undecided by these Thai Lime & Chile Peanuts. I’m not craving them and the fact that the bag still around, half full, a week after purchasing should tell you something. But they aren’t bad. I guess I’ll just stick with my favorite – Spicy Hot Peanuts from Vons. Those things are tasty. I probably do a whole entry on nuts some day – maybe with a favorite nut to gobble on theme.

4 Comments:

Blogger CozyMama said...

whatever works dude. thanks for the other great places to check out.

May 17, 2006 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott - Me, master, or meister...nah. Me just very hungry all the time. Thanks for the link!

May 18, 2006 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know "authentic" it is but this site (www.overheardintheoffice.com) has some pretty funny snippets of overheard conversations.

May 25, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

I totally got suckered by these and had the same reaction. They looked so good I kept eating them, even though I didn't like them. I finally threw the bag away about 3/4 full. I do like their blister peanuts though - and those cheesestick things are the bomb.

May 28, 2006 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home