Thursday, April 27, 2006

Eatin’ the North County Way Part 4

Be sure to scroll down – I’ve posted several times this week. I also see I mistakenly mentioned that this would be a definitive list of my area restaurants but I mistyped – I meant this would be an incomplete diminutive list. Sorry for this misunderstanding. Basically I’m just wasting time until I have a new full restaurant review (those are rare in these parts) to post or maybe a recipe to share (that has never happened!) So, each part will have two restaurants mentioned, so in the end I guess this will be the top 20 restaurants of the area close to my house? And hey, in my comments section on some past posts on North County Eatin’, Leanne has been kind enough to post some lengthy comments on her recommendations. I’ll write a bit more about a couple of those now.

Miami Grill
This is a newish (opened last summer) place well east of the 15 on Poway Road past Henry’s (where I make weekly trips for dirt cheap veggies and fruit plus bulk nuts and candy) but before you get to the car dealerships. The time we went (on a Friday night) it was pretty busy and we waited longer than we normally would for a seat. Nice enough place – that Miami Grill – we were on the patio and it seemed pleasant inside. They have Cuban sandwiches for around $7 and entrees for around $10 (like Jamaican Jerk Chicken or Slow Roasted Pulled Pork). I’d like to go there again. Newspaper article here.

Yanni’s Bistro.
I like this place though I remember being disappointed with my meal last time. We’ve been here a few times for dinner – last time was around Christmas and I remember it was quite busy even on a midweek night. They do have quite a large patio for the warmer months. Their website says they “reflect a fusion of northern Mediterranean cuisine with predominant influences of Greece and Italy.” They offer up a variety of meat skewers and chicken dishes. I remember my wife got a memorable Fried Calamari Steak with saffron cream. Don't forget the chocolate! The bistro also has very good desserts – I’d probably go back next for a light snack and a couple of shared desserts.

Your gateway to Yanni's Bistro is ---> here!

Etc.
Remember when Jack opened up is very own bistro on Three’s Company? That seemed like a pretty good place! Now, that was a show! And the theme song kept getting better each season. Maybe it wasn’t as good as ChiPs – but what could be?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Henry's and their bulk bins! Where else can you buy just a tablespoon of fenugreek (because that's all you need for an Indian dish that will get made once)??

Have you been to North Park Produce? It's next to the Big Lots! at Poway Rd and Pomerado. They have all sorts of random spices and ingredients (like rose water and ghee) but also super cheap veggies and sometimes fruits. The selection isn't as nice as Henry's, and sometimes the fruits look beat up, but for fresh herbs and veggies, you can't really beat them.

May 01, 2006 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention, Yanni's website also had a coupon for a free desert during the week. My friend and I used to go for lunch a lot and we'd always save room for a dessert. However, if you want two desserts (if you both order an entree), we've been told you'll need to bring two coupons (which doesn't make sense, but they're the ones calling the shots!).

May 03, 2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

Yes, great tip! I sometimes avoid mentioning coupons here since I bring up good deals or special offers often enough - I don't want to be called a cheapskate. The one time we used that coupon, the waiter just asked what dessert we wanted, we picked, and he brought one. We didn't care that much one way or another. I was sort of wondering since the coupon does imply one dessert for each entree (this is Mon. - Thurs.)

May 03, 2006 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home