Saturday, April 28, 2007

Cavaillon

A few weeks ago we went to Cavaillon in someplace called Santaluz (just north of THE 56) after seeing an excellent rating in The Reader review and high praise on Chowhound. I made reservations for their Monday night $32 fixed price 3 course “meal deal”. Reservations on a Monday night? Seems odd, but they have a fairly small dining room (unless I missed a larger back room?) with a small bar left of the entryway so reservations may be suggested on potentially busy nights. We were offered either a tiny table inside or our choice of any table on the empty patio. Since the weather was nice, we went outside and had the patio to ourselves.

Starters included French Onion Soup with Cubes of Beef Short Rib and Onion and Eggplant Tart with Sautéed Calamari. Both were great.

My entrée was the slightly famed "Coq au Vin" with Creamy Potatoes and Vegetable Brunoise. As you might know, I’m a “foodie dummie” and don’t know much about anything, so I wasn’t aware of Coq au Vin before Naomi’s review. At Cavaillon they serve up two meaty chicken thighs. Plenty to eat here!

My wife got the Shiitake Mushroom Risotto with Green Asparagus and Aged Parmesan. Filling! Seinfeld fans know this! And they do a Shrimp and Lobster Risotto – either as an entrée or a smaller appetizer.

Dessert was an Almond Macaroon with Fresh Berries and Raspberry Coulis plus another Coconut Ice Cream, Pineapple & Golden Raisin Marmalade. Yum.

The food overall was excellent, good portions and great service, but from the looks of the dinner menu, that $32 meal deal results in just maybe a couple bucks off. I probably wouldn’t bother with that again – just go whenever you want and order whatever you want – most of the menu is under $25 (a couple under $20) for entrees and the full dinner menu is available on Monday nights. Cavaillon also serves brunch on weekends (alert to Jim, the Brunch Master!) with plenty of options right around $10. That patio is calling me for breakfast some weekend!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott!

Thanks for the tip, but I'm one step (brunch) ahead of you!

http://www.sandiegosundaybrunchmaster.com/Cavaillon.html

BTW, there is no larger back room.

Jim

April 28, 2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger jef said...

Isn't that the restaurant by the now ex-Tapenade sous?

Sounds like the food is very similar but I wouldn't mind going up to Santa Luz again and seeing for myself.

April 29, 2007 5:16 AM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

Jim - I should have known you had been there already!

Jef - I think you are correct on the Tapenade connection.

April 29, 2007 10:49 AM  
Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

That sounds great Scott - and I appreciate your tip on the Monday thing - I was kind of wondering if that was really worth the special trip or if another night might be just as good. And look at you, posting away like a mad man! I hadn't checked in for a while so I had a lot of catching up to do!
:-)

April 29, 2007 8:50 PM  
Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

Ok, I refuse to believe you haven't eaten for a month! How 'bout a new post once in a while? :-)

May 31, 2007 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home