Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Free Burrito Day!

The free burrito day at Chipotle (by McDonald’s™) was a colossal success. Well, maybe not colossal but a great deal (of course you needed a zoo membership that costs many times the cost of a burrito but never mind that now) as we ended up with 2 burritos (one chicken and one pork), a beer (Dos Equis) and a margarita (pretty strong actually) for a total of around 7 bucks. I don’t remember if they charged for the extra guacamole (usually a $1.40 charge). I do like the “build-your-own” structure of Chipotle where you can tell them exactly what you want in there. They usually use a bit too much rice to fill them up and can be a little skimpy on the meat. I’ve been there a handful of times over the past few years and I always wish they would put more meat on. I’ve asked and sometimes they halfheartedly shifted the meat around and maybe added a little. And I forgot my camera.

We went just before noon and it was busy and got even busier – we did see a few people showing their zoo memberships. Sweet! Nothing finer than free food! I can probably wait another year to go back. And certainly you could do worse. ...

Carl’s Jr.
Such as perhaps the taco bowl from Carl’s Jr. I’m not saying it was bad (fending off a libel suit (or would it be slander?)) but I wouldn’t rush out of your way for it. Had a buy one, get one free coupon so it was hard to resist. They are sort of small, packed with refried beans on the bottom, with lettuce and hints of cheese and some tomato, some beefy substance – probably leftover chili dog stuffs.

I avoid fast food drive thru for the most part – hey who can resist a Sausage McMuffin (err bad example) but it’s tempting with buy one get one free coupons. They have other offers ready to fatten me up. Double the food for half the price! (Fun fact: Carl’s Jr. is known as Hardee’s in other parts of the country and is where I had my first real job.)

Edelweiss Bakery
I got off track, so, after the burritos, the thought of dessert rose up and I remembered the hidden bakery in the same Mira Mesa shopping center that Chipotle is located in. Surely they would have something for us. They deal big time with wedding cakes and cakes for other big events (we usually get our office birthday cakes there) but also have cases full of individual cakes brownies, cookies, pastries and such. Yum. Got a serving of white chocolate cheesecake and chocolate mousse pecan dessert. Total came to all of $5something.

Oh, by the way…
…for those living in Albuquerque or points beyond, the San Diego Zoo annual membership is something like $80 for a couple. Included is free entry (to two properties) for membership holders, freebies and discounts plus a couple of guest passes.

What’s next?
New restaurant reviews have been few and far between – we just haven’t been eating out much. Plenty out there to try – I’ll probably post a restaurant wish list soon. And…to San Diego bloggers, anyone up for a meet? Maybe a restaurant outing?

Old Town Event
Someone might be into this one: “International Flavors of Old Town” features cuisine from Acapulco Mexican Restaurant, Cafe Pacifica, El Fandango, Korky's, Old Town Mexican Cafe and Zocalo Grill, 5 to 7:30 p.m. June 8th at Old Town Marketplace, 4010 Twigg St. Wristbands are $5 and can be purchased at the event. See link of events (it’s the first one). I won't be going but let me know if you do.

And if you are wondering part 1
And if you are wondering, no we didn’t go to Chipotle a second time on Saturday - my wife shot that one down.

And if you are wondering part 2
Yes, I am aware of my bad grammar - I have to do something about sentence structure, commas, run on sentences and those terrible hanging prepositions.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott - Zoo membership is a "must" for us. It is especially handy during the summer months when the zoo is open until 10pm. As for Carl's Jr - at least you didn't eat that 900 calorie "bomb", called the breakfast burger....but then, how can a burger that has tater tots in it be so bad?

June 08, 2006 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about that anonymous thing - it was me man! Keep up the good work.

June 08, 2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

That probably means the McDonald's bagel breakfast sandwich has 900 calories when I put the hashbrowns on it. (It's extra good if you use the whole packet of hot sauce.) I don't do that very often though! My work schedule is a little nuts over the next thirty days or so, but maybe after that we could get together and try one of the places on my list? Bon Appetit!

June 09, 2006 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott - we have an Edelweiss bakery in RB, too! Very midcentury decor with fabulous sweets. The almond crescents are downright decadent.

June 09, 2006 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the reasons phone sex fantasy is playing so well is that, before the final round,
his wife takes out his balls and kisses them� phone sex fantasy what have I just said? phone sex fantasy

July 20, 2006 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home