Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Rachael Ray Does San Diego

No, it wasn’t in the same way that Debbie Did Dallas (although, any guy who saw her FHM photo spread might really want to see that), instead it was as part of her Tasty Travels series. Since she pretty much covered the US (and other parts of the world) with her $40 a Day series, she’s gone back to show more favorite eats in each city. It’s part travel guide, part a showcase for the next Martha Stewart conglomerate and part foodie promo for the city.

What the ^%#$ you talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?

Shameless promo for Rachael Ray.
It was on Tuesday night, on the Food Network. Rachael Ray’s Tasty Travels, San Diego style. Yea, people either love her or hate here. I enjoy most of her shows (she’s had 4 on the network so far), but sometimes in limited doses. In theory the travel show showcases a dozen or so local favorites that tourist foodies would like just as much as the local folk do. Oh, no doubt there is a small advance team working closely with the chamber of commerce / visitors bureau / restaurant association or maybe the restaurants are straight out paying a promotional fee (that might be the cynic in me) but I’ve never watched the credits that closely. Maybe it is more of an honest organic discovery of some local places by her production team.

Spoiler alert!
So each of the following restaurants gets a little treatment: Anthony's Fish Grotto, World Famous, Peohe's, JRDN, Rice and The Gas Lamp Strip Club with smaller mentions of The Big Kitchen and The Wine Encounter and a couple of low profile little places. All looked pretty tasty and fun with the exception of Anthony’s.

If you missed it, catch it later this month – see the Food Network website for details.

More foodstuffs.
I keep meaning to get around to posting about other food outings of the last month – that is about all you can hope to get out of me – you know damn well you ain’t getting any recipes here. Oh, I could talk about the Anaheim Hilton and their breakfast buffet (pretty good at $15.99 I think, a nice breakfast spread with everything you could want plus toast and made to order omelets (a big time requirement in my book)) or an all out dinner (on an all expenses paid work trip) at the Italian restaurant, Pavia, where I overstuffed myself once again before going to Disney but there is little time for that now.

Or maybe I could write about the near car accident (right in the parking lot!) before going to Yummy Sushi in Carmel Mountain Ranch. Or maybe how I stumbled across the parking lot only to hear a work acquaintance call out my name from the near by Mexican hole-in-the-wall joint, Jalapenos. He said that place is the real deal. I went back a few days later and it’s pretty good – but no better or worse than a dozen other places I’ve been to. Yet there are more to try!

What’s next?
Don’t expect anything new here for a wee bit, but I’ll be back with lots more later in August. Pictures galore! Restaurants a-plenty.


Maybe lords-a-leaping?

Probably not.

Postscript.
Full disclosure: I've been drinking heavily (and heavenly) tonight. I'm sure it doesn't show.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gourmetish said...

Was Yummy Sushi yummy? I'll have to check out that Rachael Ray show about SD. My husband calls her "the tv version of me (Kady)" but I'd like to think I'm not quite that cheesy. So I completely agree with you--she's good in limited doses.

August 03, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

It was pretty yummy - it would be somewhat basic for hardcore sushi lovers but just right for us.

August 03, 2006 11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey FF-55 - I like the new look!

August 04, 2006 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your new look!

I'm waiting to see if you check out the new Poway BBQ near the Del Taco... I brought some home tonight and I can give you my thoughts, but I'd hate to sway your opinion. =)

August 08, 2006 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home