Saturday, July 08, 2006

Weiners on the Grill

Well, not weiners but that great all-time American favorite, the brat. I kind of think of it as a Wisconsin favorite, but I think Johnsonville pretty much took it national years ago.


I grilled these beauties up over the long 4th of July weekend. No doubt these are a "once in a while" type of food, because of the high fat content and other junk. A lot of the fat drips out to get the fire going a little extra. I also tossed some boneless chicken breasts on the grill, the combo of the brat smoke gave the chicken a little special favor (mmm, carcinogens!)

Otherwise the 4th of July weekend didn't quite go as planned - so we didn't eat out as expected. Oh sure, there is always time for Punjabi Tandoor. And it's the lazy time of summer - it will probably be a couple weeks before I get another post out.

Of interest to those that don't read Chowhound, posters have a listing of local favorites in the What's On Your Rotation? thread.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gourmetish said...

I love bratwurst! Love love love it. I'm very picky about my wursts, though..they have to be authentically German. Those Germans have the best sausages. Speaking of which, I'm hoping to try Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad this week and see how their sausages/meat taste.

July 10, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

You can probably tell I'm not picky at all, these were just Johnsonville, 5 brats for all of $1.99. Ah, cheap meat, I can taste it now. Oh, we've had better sausage before and as kids we would get good homemade stuff from relatives. Even kielbasa which is just a fancy way to say Polish sausage I guess.

I even saw sausage being made once, chop up the meat, add the seasonings, grind it up and push it in a tube. I wasn't there when the cow was shot but made it over in time for when a big slab of meat brought into the garage.

July 12, 2006 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Polish. Tip Top is as close as i can get to what I grew iup with.

You should try out the cafeteria there if you want to just taste some of the cooked sausages in a sandwich...

Oh don't get me started...its great....

July 12, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Gourmetish said...

Not sure exactly where you live but check out Tip Top Meats next time you're in Carlsbad..went today (see post) and def. recommend their sausages for your next grilling.

July 12, 2006 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

August 12, 2006 3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
celebrex Gaggenau clean touch dishwashers Levaquin antibiotic side effects Food contain vitamins university of nevada las vegas interior designer

August 15, 2006 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

August 17, 2006 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home