Saturday, July 29, 2006

Bernard'O

It isn’t much of a drive to get to Rancho Bernardo for us, but we don’t that often. Had a Friday night dinner at Bernard’O (where is it? Rancho Bernardo of course!) where the old folks live and dine. No disrespect of course, the area just seems to have the highest concentration of gray hairs. Again no disrespect! (I’m digging a hole here, aren’t I?)

Of course the 15 was moving sluggishly – so a detour on Pomerado seemed necessary. Not problem, they are right at Rancho Bernardo Road and Pomerado.

The place is a little budget busting if you go all out (we went half way with entrées, wine and a dessert for each of us.) My lovely wife (is that better than Mrs. Firefly?) had the Ahi Tuna – she loved the sauce that was drizzled over it and I had the pork chop – your pick the starch and sauce from a list of five each. Even in this blasted heat they had the fireplace burning away just in case you felt a chill coming in from windows – ah atmosphere! Overall a pretty nice place – comfortable room, although pretty open. They weren’t just too busy for a Friday night – but I see they do live music (?) a couple of nights a week.

Of course we saved plenty of room for dessert by skipping salad or an appetizer. (Plus we decide we eat enough frickin’ salads for lunch during the week!) Normally we might share a dessert but we saw two interesting selections: a chocolate pecan tart and a molten lava type chocolate cake. Both were good. But overall nothing quite overwhelmed us. Solidly a 12/20 as GAYOT suggests.

There is a French Market Grille nearby that I’ve heard a good thing or two about and might even be a little better - plus I think, open for lunch on weekends.

Blogstuffs
For a brief time (like 5 minutes) I tried the TicTac Blue (but it seems so familiar) template before settling on this one. I almost want to change to the plain old Minima but I see San Diego’s very own Alice Q. said this one wasn’t too hideous (I forget the exact comment.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Gourmetish said...

I like your new layout. It's always good to change things up every now and then.

July 30, 2006 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the new look! Thanks for the review on Bernard'O. I don't think I knew about this place before. Have a great week!

July 31, 2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger FireFlyFiftyFive said...

Thanks you two. It's hard to keep this thing going sometimes. Got tons coming up in August though.

As far as Bernard'O, I guess it will always be the poormans French restuarant in the neighborhood with El Bizcocho just down the street.

August 01, 2006 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home